This lovely little cake has a taste and texture you won’t believe…! You will also need some sweet pastry to complete this recipe.
- 4 kg Sweet Pastry See Sweet Pastry Recipe
- 240 ml Raspberry Jam
- 400 grams Semolina
- 400 grams Ground Almonds
- 1 kg Caster
- 8 Eggs beaten
- 10 ml Almond Essence
- 600 grams Melted Unsalted Butter
- 120 grams Flaked Almonds
- Using a pastry brush and some white shortening grease your 2 gastronome trays and roll out sufficient amount of sweet pastry to cover the tray.
- Roll the pastry back over the rolling pin.
- Carefully roll the pastry over the tray
- Roll out the sweet pastry and line each tray allowing the pastry to fully cover the tray
- Trim the pastry.
- Crimp the pastry away from the edges of the trays, after baking this crimped pastry will be discarded.
- Spread a thin layer of Raspberry Jam over the pastry.
- Warm the butter to melt it without making it hot, just warm enough to turn to liquid. and mix with the remaining ingredients except the flaked almonds to form a liquid batter.
- Divide the almond batter mixture equally between the 2 trays and spread evenly over the jam.
- Sprinkle the flaked almonds on top of the batter.
- Bake for approximately 45 to 50 minutes until golden brown. Place the trays in the oven set at 160C and once the batter has risen evenly lower the oven temperature to 150C.This filling takes a lot of cooking so don't be worried by the colour of the top it will go quite brown and the edges of the pastry will be over baked, but will be trimmed off when cold.
- The filling will raise slightly. in this image we can see hoe oven and allow to cool. Once the Almond slice has cooled I place it in a cool area or a walk-in a fridge if space is available and leave it overnight.
- before slicing your Tray Bake Almond Tart one option is to brush the top with a very thin water icing, but this is an optional finish and not absolutely necessary.
- Cut the Almond Slice to a suitable size and arrange on a tray or silver flat on Dollies.