Baked Rice Pudding
- 500 grams Round Grain Pudding Rice
- 250 grams Butter Unsalted
- 200 grams Sugar
- 4 litres Whole Milk
- 2 cans Condensed Milk Optional
- sprinkle Nutmeg
- Select a pot with a lid suitable to go in the oven, melt the butter in the pot over a medium heat and stir in the rice and cook for a few minutes without colour so the and coat each grain of rice, this will add flavor to the rice and help stop the rice sticking together during cooking.
- Add the sugar stir in and then add all the milk.
- Continue to heat stirring until the milk comes to a rolling simmer, don’t allow the rice to settle on the bottom of the pot it may stick.
- Place the lid on the pot and place in an oven set at approximately 200°C and bake for an hour or until the rice has swelled, stirring with a whisk half way through the cooking time, as the rice will settle and stick together during cooking, this stirring not only separates the grains of rice but it also seems to release starch from the rice to thicken the milk.
- Check the Rice Pudding at this stage for tenderness and sweetness, and add sugar to taste or Condensed Milk which adds flavour and sweetness. The matter of sweetness is personal taste, I find the 200 grams of sugar and a can of condensed milk makes this recipe just about right for my crews.
- When the rice is soft transfer to a suitable ovenproof dish, sprinkle with a little grated Nutmeg and return to a hot oven for just sufficient time to brown the top slightly, it should take no more than 5 to 10 minutes, your Rice Pudding is ready to serve and can be eaten hot or cold.