Although these biscuits are predominantly a children’s novelty, I can tell you from experience that my all adult crew definitely like them, having said this the delicate ginger flavor of these biscuits makes them ideal for children, when baked for approximately 12 minutes produces a lovely slightly soft texture, longer baking produces a crisper harder biscuit. This recipe is also perfect for making a Gingerbread House.
- 700 grams Plain Flour
- 4 tsp Ground Ginger
- 250 grams Butter
- 2 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 350 grams Soft Brown Sugar Light or Dark Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 8 tbsp Golden Syrup
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger into a mixing bowl.
- Were we can see the sifted dry ingredients.
- Warm the Golden Syrup in a pot with hot water, this to thin the syrup and make it easier to pour and measure.
- Place the sieved ingredients into a machine mixing bowl, add the butter.
- Add the brown sugar to the mixing bowl.
- Rub all the ingredients together.
- While the dry ingredients and butter are mixing, measure the golden syrup into a bowl.
- Add the eggs. Please note;- the recipe above requires only 2 eggs, the images in this recipe are for a double quantity batch.
- Briefly whisk the eggs and syrup to combine thoroughly
- When the dry ingredients and butter are fully mixed add the egg and syrup mixture.
- Switch the machine back on and continue to mix.
- Continue to mix until the ingredients for a pliable dough.
- Remove the dough from the machine and place on the bench
- Flour the bench and roll out a manageable size piece of dough to approximately 6 to 8mm thick, use a Gingerbread man cutter to cut out as many gingerbread men as possible. take note of how every other gingerbread is cut upside down in order to achieve the maximum number of biscuits.
- Here we can see the way the biscuits are cut in closer detail.
- Place your gingerbread men on lightly greased trays, and decorate. Use a cocktail stick to press the eyes, chocolate drops as buttons and a thin wedge of red glace cherry for the lips.
- On single red cherry can be cut in half, then each half can be cut into 4 so that each cherry will produce 8 smiles.
- Bake the Gingerbread Men in a preheated oven set at 150°C for 12 to 15 minutes, dependant on your oven, over baking will produce a crisper harder biscuit.
- During baking the biscuits will rise slightly and spread, we can see in the image below these two gingerbread men decided to hold hands in the oven.
- On removing the gingerbread men from the oven use a small pallet knife transfer the biscuits to cooling wires.
- When the biscuits are cool place on doilies on a suitable tray, place in the messroom and watch them disappear..!