This KFC inspired Fried Chicken makes a tasty addition to any menu, and is popular with most crews, made using our Southern Style Dry Spice Mix,
(see link to spice recipe ;- https://www.shipscookbook.com/recipe/southern-style-dry-spice-mix)
This is a simple recipe which requires care to ensure that the chicken is fully cooked to a minimum core temperature of 80°C paying special attention at the joints.
Southern Style Fried Chicken
- 1 recipe Southern Style Dry Spice Mix https://www.shipscookbook.com/recipe/southern-style-dry-spice-mix
- 10 kg Whole Chicken
- Cut the whole Chickens into quarters by removing the legs then removing the breast from the carcass leaving the skin on the chicken portions.
- Place the cut Chicken portions into a suitable container and cover with water to wet the chicken.
- Place your Southern Style Dry Spice in bowl.
- Place a clean lightly oiled baking tray next to the dry spice mix.
- One piece as a time drop the wetted Chicken portions into the dry spice mix.
- Coat on all sides.
- Place the coated Chicken onto the baking tray.
- Repeat until all the chicken is coated.
- Deep Fry a few pieces at a time depending on the size of your fryer at approximately 175°C to 180°C for about 4 to 5 minutes to seal fully.
- Then place the partly fried chicken portions back onto a clean baking tray and place into a hot oven set at 180°C and cook for approximately 10 to 15 minutes until the Chicken reaches a minimum core temperature of 80°C. Cook the chicken for longer if required until fully cooked.
- Your Chicken will be fully cooked juicy and succulent, serve with fries, chicken gravy and coleslaw.