This KFC inspired Fried Chicken makes a tasty addition to any menu, and is popular with most crews, made using our Southern Style Dry Spice Mix,
(see link to spice recipe ;- https://www.shipscookbook.com/recipe/southern-style-dry-spice-mix)
This is a simple recipe but requires care to ensure that the chicken is fully cooked to a minimum core temperature of 80°C paying special attention at the joints to ensure the chicken is fully cooked. KFC Restaurant’s use special fryers that were designed just for KFC, their fryers not only fry but they have a lid and are pressurized to improve the cooking accuracy and efficiency because of the huge volumes chicken cooked in each outlet.
I find a combination of frying and finishing in the oven gives me the best results, this gives me great control of the level of cooking without over browning the outside crumb, this allows me to produce fully cooked but juicy and succulent Chicken.
Southern Style Fried Chicken
- 1 recipe Southern Style Dry Spice Mix https://www.shipscookbook.com/recipe/southern-style-dry-spice-mix
- 10 kg Whole Chicken
- Cut the whole Chickens into quarters by removing the legs then removing the breast from the carcass leaving the skin on the chicken portions.
- Place the cut Chicken portions into a suitable container and cover with water to wet the chicken.
- Place your Southern Style Dry Spice in bowl.
- Place a clean lightly oiled baking tray next to the dry spice mix.
- One piece as a time drop the wetted Chicken portions into the dry spice mix.
- Coat on all sides.
- Place the coated Chicken onto the baking tray.
- Repeat until all the chicken is coated.
- Deep Fry a few pieces at a time depending on the size of your fryer at approximately 175°C to 180°C for about 4 to 5 minutes to seal fully.
- Then place the partly fried chicken portions back onto a clean baking tray and place into a hot oven set at 180°C and cook for approximately 10 to 15 minutes until the Chicken reaches a minimum core temperature of 80°C. Cook the chicken for longer if required until fully cooked.
- Your Chicken will be fully cooked juicy and succulent, serve with fries, chicken gravy and coleslaw.