These Chelsea buns really are a lovely, made from our basic bun dough, I always find the physical construction of rolling and slicing the dough into attractive little pin wheels a very satisfying task, when eating these buns there is something entertaining about exploring the soft bun and the layers of cinnamon and fruit topped with apricot glaze and icing, "They do look inviting, who could possibly resist one".
|Prep Time||1-2 hours|
|Cook Time||12 minutes|
- 1.5 kg Strong Flour
- 40 grams Yeast Dried
- 200 grams Caster Sugar
- 375 grams Butter
- 550 ml Water
- 7 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Cinnamon
- 200 grams Dried Mixed Fruit
- Apricot Glaze
- Glace Cherries
- Water Icing
- Mix all the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl until thoroughly mixed
- Rub the Butter into the dry mix
- Mix the water and eggs together and add to dry ingredients and mix until dough is smooth and elastic and comes away from the bowl, this will take about 15 minutes on medium speed.
- Remove from the mixer and place the dough in an oiled plastic bag and allow to double in size in a warm part of the galley.
- Divide dough into 4 equal parts and roll each piece of dough into a rectangle 45cm x 30cm.
- Brush dough with melted Butter and sprinkle with Sugar Cinnamon and the Mixed Fruit.
- Roll up like a Swiss Roll and brush the rolls with melted butter so that all of the dough is oiled, it is this brushing with butter that enables stops the dough sticking together creating a spiral in the finished product.
- Cut the roll in slices approximately 3am to 4cm thick.
- Place them cut side down into a well-greased 100mm deep gastronome tray and cover and leave to prove.
- Notice the different in the way the dough fills the tray and the buns all touch each other but they will not sick together during baking because the sides have been buttered
- Bake at 180C for 12 minutes, remove from oven, notice the buns well go quite brown on the top.
- Whilst still hot in the tray brush with warm apricot glaze and leave for a few minutes.
- Carefully transfer the buns onto cooling wires and allow to cool.
- When cool pipe a little water icing over the buns and finish with half glazed cherries.
Share this Recipe